Charred Wonderful Seedless Lemon Risotto With Fresh Peas & Artichokes
Recipe Developed by The Culinary Institute of America.
- 4 Wonderful Seedless Lemons, cut in half
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Wonderful Seedless Lemon, zested
- 2½ cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 7 cups chicken or veggie stock
Artichoke and Lemon Pea Braise:
- 2 cups artichokes, frozen or canned, drained
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, blanched
- 2 Wonderful Seedless Lemon segments, chopped
- Wonderful Seedless Lemon juice, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon chives or parsley, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for garnish
- 2 oz. pea tendrils
- For the charred lemons: Heat a non-stick griddle or pan.
- Blot each side of the lemon halves on a paper towel and place them cut-side down in the pan. Don’t move them—wait until they are sizzling, bubbling, and browning around the edges. Remove when they are a deep brown/black. Set one aside.
- For the risotto: Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic, lemon zest, and rice. Stir to coat.
- Add the white wine and stock in 4 to 6 increments. Stir constantly after each addition of stock until all the liquid has been absorbed, before adding the next increment. This is what gives the risotto the creaminess—it should be creamy like porridge. This whole procedure will take 20 to 30 minutes.You may need to add slightly less or more stock to achieve a creamy, slightly soupy texture.
- For the artichoke and lemon pea braise: Slice the artichokes into bite-size pieces. Cook the artichokes and shallot with a drizzle of oil until browning.
- Turn the heat to the lowest setting and add the peas, lemon segments, lemon juice, and olive oil or butter. Add the chives or parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold the grated Parmesan cheese into the risotto. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the consistency, if necessary, by adding additional stock.
- Spoon the risotto into shallow bowls and place the braised artichokes and peas on top. Garnish with charred lemon, pea tendrils, and additional Parmesan, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
In This Recipe
Wonderful® Seedless LemonsWhere to Buy