Lemon Maple Upside-Down Cake
Caramelized Lemon Maple Topping:
- 2 Wonderful Seedless Lemons
- 1 Wonderful Seedless Lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease an 8" or 9" springform cake pan, and place a parchment round at the bottom.
- Cut 2 Wonderful Seedless Lemons into ¼" wheels.
- Place lemon wheels in a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and drain. Allow to cool.
- Juice the remaining Wonderful Seedless Lemon and combine with butter, light brown sugar, and maple syrup in a saucepan. On medium heat, caramelize until dark golden brown. Do not stir too often or the sugar will crystallize. This will take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour caramel into the bottom of the cake pan, and arrange lemon slices in a pattern on top of the caramel. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the sour cream and milk together until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, then add the vanilla and eggs.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the large bowl until incorporated. Add half of the sour cream mixture until incorporated.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients, and the remaining sour cream mixture, until incorporated.
- Pour the batter over the caramel topping in the pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the center is done and the top is golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Place a large plate on top of the cake and turn upside down. Carefully remove the pan and parchment paper. Allow the cake to cool before slicing and serving.
This recipe was created by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to Wonderful Citrus.
In This Recipe