Mini Lemon Meringue Pie Bites
Tara Teaspoon Inc.
- 1 tablespoon Wonderful Seedless Lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Wonderful Seedless Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks (set aside the whites for meringue topping)
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons Wonderful Seedless Lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large room temperature egg whites (reserved from the lemon filling)
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Wonderful Seedless Lemon zest curls, for garnish
- For the lemon filling: In a small saucepan, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, eggs, and egg yolks until very smooth. Set pan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until sugar has dissolved, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the butter a few pieces at a time, whisking after each addition until the butter is melted. Do not let the lemon filling bubble at any time.
- Continue cooking and stirring the filling for 4 to 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl to remove any bits of solid egg and the zest. Pour into a clean jar and cool to room temperature. Store covered in the fridge for at least 3 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- For the cookie crusts: In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until blended. Add the yolk, lemon juice, and almond extract and mix until a dough is formed. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to a day.
- Heat oven to 350ºF. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough to 1/8" thick. Use a 2-1/2" round cookie cutter to cut 12 circles, and re-roll any scraps if needed. Gently press the rounds into a mini muffin tin so the edges are flush with the top and the dough sits in the corners of the muffin cups.
- Bake the cookie crusts until just set and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool briefly in the tin, and then gently remove to a cooling rack. Use a small knife or spatula to loosen and lift the crusts out of the tin.
- When almost ready to serve, fill the cookie cups to the top with the lemon filling.
- For the meringue: In a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment to combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat until frothy, about 3 minutes on medium speed. Increase the speed to medium-high and begin to add the sugar a little bit at a time. Continue beating until glossy, stiff peaks form, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and pipe dollops onto the filled cookies. (Tip: use a piping bag fitted with an Ateco #806 tip.)
- If desired, use a brûlèe torch to toast the tops of the meringue. Garnish with lemon zest and serve. Filled pie cups can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 2 hours before serving.
In This Recipe