Wonderful Seedless Lemon & Pistachio Cake
Recipe by The Culinary Institute of America, adapted from Jody Adams and NYT Cooking.
- 2 Wonderful Seedless Lemons, zested and juiced
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup Wonderful Pistachios No Shells Lightly Salted, ground
- Wonderful Pistachios No Shells Lightly Salted for garnish
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- For the lemon curd: In a heat-proof bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and eggs, and beat well. Add the butter and place the bowl over a simmering double boiler on medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens into curd, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl and refrigerate until cool, at least 1½ hours.
- For the cake: Heat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9" spring-form pan with 1 tablespoon of butter and dust with 1 tablespoon of flour, shaking out the excess.
- In an electric mixer, cream the remaining butter and 1 cup of sugar together until light and fluffy. Sift in the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until they start to foam. Do not overbeat, or the cake will be tough. Add the eggs and ground pistachios to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place 8 individual tablespoons of lemon curd around the perimeter of the pan, leaving a 1" border and taking care to space the dollops evenly.
- Place 3 to 4 tablespoons of lemon curd into the center of the cake. Sprinkle the cake with toasted pistachios and 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake until the cake is fully cooked, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan.
- For the whipped cream: In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, beat the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until peaks form.
- Serve the cake with the whipped cream, additional lemon curd, pistachios, and powdered sugar.
In This Recipe
Wonderful® Seedless LemonsWhere to Buy