Greek Lemon Soup with Chicken and Orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 Wonderful Seedless Lemon, juiced
- 2 large eggs Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Sliced bread of choice
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil on medium- high. Add the carrots, celery, and shallots. Sauté briefly, then stir in the garlic.
- Add the chicken broth and bay leaves, and increase the heat to high. Once the liquid comes to a boil, add the orzo, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 7 minutes or until the orzo is tender. Add the cooked chicken.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and eggs. While whisking, add 2 full ladles of the broth from the cooking pot (this helps temper the eggs). Once fully combined, add the sauce to the chicken soup and stir. Remove from the heat immediately.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot with your bread of choice.
In This Recipe