Lemon Thumbprint Cookies with Marmalade
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 Wonderful Seedless Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 Wonderful Seedless Lemons, quartered and thinly sliced, 1 zested
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup maple syrup
- Flaky sea salt for garnish
- Combine butter, sugar, the zest of 1 lemon, egg and yolk, and vanilla extract in a stand mixer and beat together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and salt, and mix until just combined. Cover and refrigerate for 45 to 60 minutes or until firm.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, then add the Wonderful Seedless Lemon slices and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, and repeat the process until the lemon peels are tender. Drain again.
- To the pot with the lemons, add 2 cups of water, the juice of 1 lemon, and maple syrup. Cook over medium heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the top, until the lemons are broken down and the mixture has thickened, about 45 to 60 minutes. Turn off heat and cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out 1" balls of dough and space them 2" apart on a baking sheet. Using your thumb, press into the center of each cookie to create an indentation.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Remove from the oven and cool on the tray for 5 minutes. Using your thumb or the back of a spoon, reinforce the indentations.
- Add a dollop of marmalade to each cookie indentation. Sprinkle each cookie with flaky salt and lemon zest.
In This Recipe