Whole Wheat Lemon Blueberry Scones
Recipe Developed by The Culinary Institute of America.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1¾ cup fine whole wheat flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Wonderful Seedless Lemons, zested and juiced, reserving 2 tablespoons of juice for icing
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into ½" cubes
- 1¼ cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 large egg, with yolk and egg white separated
- Flour for dusting
- Cream for brushing
- ¼ cup coarse turbinado sugar
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, granulated sugar, dried blueberries, and lemon zest. Whisk until incorporated.
- Using your fingers, a pastry cutter, or a fork, add the butter cubes into the dry ingredients and mix until coarse and crumbly.
- Place the lemon juice, heavy cream, and egg yolk in a bowl, and lightly beat with a fork.
- Add the cream mixture to the dry ingredients, and gently mix until a cohesive dough forms. Do not over mix.
- On a lightly floured surface, press the dough with your hands or roll with a rolling pin into a rectangle, about 1" thick x 8" long x 6" wide.
- Cut the dough into 6 squares, and cut each square in half into triangles.
- Place triangles on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Brush each scone with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes until golden brown.
- While the scones are baking, whisk 2 tablespoons lemon juice, powdered sugar, and egg white together in a small bowl to form the icing.
- Remove the scones, cool on a wire rack, and drizzle with the icing.
In This Recipe
Wonderful® Seedless LemonsWhere to Buy